samedi 17 avril 2010

Kayaking

Well I know i said I would post about the party but honestly everything about it was so bad, I acted like an idiot and so did pretty much everyone else that I do not want to talk about it. I don't feel like it and therefore since you guys wanted to know more about kayaking, I'll post about that because I love it and it might cheer me up a bit to talk about it. I'll probably tell you guys later what happened to the party but really nothing good came of it.

SO! Kayaking!

Its pretty much the best sport ever :P The goal is simple, go as fast as you can in a the distance of the race. There are alot of distances. I race 200m, 500m, 1000m, 2000m, 6000m and 10 000m at provincials, but at some other regattas there are other distances (the 100m is CRAZY!!). I am better at long distances usually. My best result ever in individuals was in a 2000m some time ago. There are 3 provincial competitions but only 1 national. The first provincials are or the older athletes and are also the qualifiers for the nationals. The distances raced there are 200m, 500m and 1000m (I race all 3). The second provincial championships are for younger kids (14 and under) but obviously I don't go there. The last provincials are like in october and it's the long distance where I race 2000m and 10 000m. I don't race 6 000m anymore but I did when I was younger.

The sport is actually canoeing/kayaking so it is in fact alot like canoeing. There are 7 types of boats. There are kayaks for 1, for 2 and for 4 and canoes for 1, 2, 4 and for 15. There are alot of differences between kayaks and canoes. In kayaks you sit in the middle of the boat and you paddle on both sides. In canoes you kneel on 1 knee and you only paddle on 1 side. I am really bad at canoeing tho and i only race in the one where there are 15 people in it (which is crazy). I am a kayaker at heart and I paddle in single kayaks, doubles and four-man kayaks.

In a K1 (single kayak) a 200m takes about 37 seconds for the best guys (the ones that won nationals in the Senior category). In mine it is about 40 something seconds for regular guys (like me). In 500m at worlds its about 1 : 37, my category does about 1 : 50 something. In 1000m at worlds its about 3 : 27 and in my category from 3 : 55 to 4 : 40 in the final of provincials (which I was in).

Long distances vary alot so times are weird (and alot of times not even calculated).

Man I feel like I wasn't very clear :P too bad, if you guys don't understand you can tell me, I'll try to clear it up (and if you don't want to hear about it you can tell me 2)

Seeya! (btw it did cheer me up a bit)

3 commentaires:

  1. hey Luc, Do you compete in any whitewater events?? There's a river around here where I sometimes fish that hosts some kind of kayak event, and there is a whitewater portion of the river... I have no idea how the event works... luv, tman<3

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Nah, I'm on flatwater. We sometimes race on rivers but it's not ideal and usually the current isn't that big

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Luc

    thanks for the explanantions and good luck competing this year

    take care and be safe

    bob

    RépondreSupprimer